SASSA Care Dependency Grant

SASSA Care Dependency grant is financial support for foster parents, caregivers, and parents of mentally or physically disabled children. Raising a child with impairment requires a lot of caretaking stuff. So those who are already living a life in poverty can not raise the child with proper facilities and care.

If you are a parent or caretaker of a child with a disability, you can apply for the Disability Child Grant for your kid. The grant will start from the birth of the child and will end at the 18th birthday of that kid.

However, you must prove the disability of the child that needs special attention and full-time care with the help of a medical report. The doctor should be designated by SASSA who will test your kid.

How to Get Medical Proof of a Child’s Disability?

Every foster parent or caretaker has to provide the child’s disability report from the SASSA-assigned doctor or hospital. Here is the complete procedure to get this medical report.

  1. Visit your nearest SASSA office or call their customer service to get information on the Care Dependency Grant application.
  2. Ask for a list of SASSA-designated doctors who can assess your child.
  3. Once you have the list of designated doctors, contact one of them to schedule an appointment for your child’s assessment.
  4. Make sure to confirm the date, time, and location of the appointment.
  5. Gather all relevant medical records and any previous assessments of your child’s disability.
  6. Bring your child’s birth certificate, your ID, and proof of income or social status if required.
  7. Arrive at the doctor’s office on the scheduled date with your child and all necessary documents.
  8. The doctor will conduct a thorough examination to assess the extent and nature of your child’s disability.
  9. After the assessment, the doctor will prepare a medical report detailing your child’s condition and the need for special care.
  10. Ensure that the report includes all the required information and is signed by the SASSA-designated doctor.

SASSA Care Dependency Allowance Application

You must have the SASSA assigned doctor’s report when you go to apply for the Care Dependency grant. After that, you can choose the preferable way to apply. Either use the online portal or visit the SASSA office.

SASSA Disability Grant

Apply Online at

The official website of SASSA is and you need to visit the website to start the application.

  1. Click on the “Care Dependency Grant” from the main menu option.
  2. Now download the application form in PDF if you want to apply via the SASSA office. If you want to apply online then click on the “Online Application” button.
  3. Fill out the SASSA grant application form.
  4. Scan all of your documents and upload them to the SASSA website.
  5. After that, submit the documents and get the receipt.

Grant Application Submission Through Office:

If you are not familiar with the internet then you are free to apply via the SASSA office.

  1. Check the SASSA office operating time and plan a visit.
  2. Obtain the desired grant application form. In this case, you will need a Care Dependency grant application form.
  3. Read the form first and then fill it out.
  4. Attach the attested photocopies of all the documents.
  5. Scan your fingerprints and submit the form.
  6. Get an SASSA-attested ticket as proof of grant application submission.

Criteria for Care Dependency Grant

SASSA depends on the government to issue the grant payments. And the government uses the tax payments to run these types of grants. So the government must pay only those who are eligible for the grant funds.

That is why, there is a complete and strict eligibility criteria from SASSA to get the Care Dependency grant.

  • Only South African permanent residents, nationals, refugees, and special permit holders can apply.
  • The applicant should live in South Africa when applying for the grant.
  • The child should also be a South African resident and live in South Africa.
  • The applicant should be a biological parent, foster parent, or caretaker of a child under the age of 18.
  • Your child should not live or receive benefits from the state institutes of caretakers.
  • You have to provide the latest (not older than 3 months) medical report that states your child is severely sick and requires full-time care.
  • SASSA will conduct a means test on you and your spouse.
  • If you are earning less than R20 800 per month then you are good to go for this grant.

Required Documents for Care Dependency Grant Approval

When applying for the SASSA Care Dependency Grant, it’s important to have all the necessary documents ready to ensure a smooth application process. Here is a comprehensive list of the documents you will need:

1. Identity Documents

  • Parent/Caregiver’s ID: Valid South African ID book or smart card.
  • Child’s Birth Certificate: Original birth certificate of the child with a disability.

2. Proof of Disability

  • Medical Report: A medical report completed by an SASSA-designated doctor that confirms the child’s disability and the need for full-time care.

3. Income and Financial Status

  • Proof of Income: Pay slips, bank statements, or a letter from an employer if you are employed.
  • Proof of Social Grants: Any documents proving that you are receiving other social grants, if applicable.
  • Unemployment Proof: An affidavit if you are unemployed.

4. Residence Proof

  • Proof of Address: Recent utility bill, rental agreement, or an affidavit from a local councilor confirming your address.

5. Marital Status

  • Marriage Certificate: If you are married.
  • Divorce Decree: If you are divorced.
  • Death Certificate: If your spouse is deceased.

6. Guardianship/Custody Documents

  • Court Orders: If applicable, documents that confirm legal guardianship or foster care arrangements.
  • Affidavit from Social Worker: If the child is in foster care, an affidavit from a social worker confirming the foster care status.

7. Banking Details

  • Bank Account Information: Bank statements or a letter from the bank confirming your account details for the grant to be deposited.

8. Additional Supporting Documents

  • School Reports: If the child is attending school, any reports or documents from the school that can support the application.
  • Previous Medical Records: Any other medical records or documents that provide additional information about the child’s disability.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *